make your voice heard on state's logging plans
When the Indiana Division of Forestry (DoF) plans to log a state forest area, they publish a document called a Resource Management Guide (RMG). Citizens have an opportunity to make public comments on these guides before the marking and bidding of timber can begin. By submitting comments, you help create a public record of dissent regarding the unprecedented amount of commercial logging in Indiana’s state forests. Public comment on RMGs is one of the few public input opportunities the DoF provides.
How to Comment in Four Steps
- Prepare a statement in a Word or text document. It can be as short as 100 words or as long as you want. Put in your own words why you don’t want to see this forest logged. Consider these ideas for points you can make. And read an example of IFA comments.
- Visit the DoF website, to copy and paste your comments into the online form. IF THE FORM IS NOT VISIBLE, click on the “Form Not Displaying” link. The form should then pop up. Note: write a separate comment for each logging plan. Where it says “Subject or File Reference (PDF),” insert the name of the forest, compartment, and tract, i.e., “Owen-Putnam, Compartment 8, Tract 10”
- Send a copy of your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you submitted a comment! After the deadline, your comments will likely appear on the DoF website.
- Contact your elected officials in the areas where you recreate. After all, your dollars speak!
Find your legislator.
- Contact Governor Eric Holcomb to ask him to halt this logging in areas that impact wildlife, waterway health, and hiking trails! Also, contact your state senator and representative. Not sure who yours are? Find out here.
visit the indiana department of natural resources – division of forestry website to check the status of any proposed logging projects which may be open for public comment.
(Click the image to be redirected to the DNR website)
For information on current timber sales (already closed from public comment), visit the Forestry Exchange.
Examples of IFA Comments
Thank you for speaking up
Together, we can stop the decimation of our state forests.
Get involved! Take action!
Indiana’s forests need you! Be part of an active, engaged network of forest advocates from all over Indiana. What can you do? Join IFA! Volunteer! Or write to or call officials on behalf of Indiana’s forests.
Contact IFA’s outreach team for more information.