Salamonie River State Forest
Hoosiers Want Two New State Parks
Citizens from northern Indiana traveled to Indianapolis in April 2019 to deliver 871 signatures to the Indiana Natural Resources Commission (INRC) and Governor Holcomb’s office requesting that Salamonie River and Frances Slocum State Forests be managed as State Parks.
In doing so, citizens sought to protect these forests from planned logging. Citizens requested a hearing to allow testimony from those submitting the petition, other interested citizens, and experts. Citizens also asked that any upcoming timber sales be put on hold while INRC officials considered the petition.
The INRC met July 16 and denied the petition by a unanimous vote, thus allowing logging to proceed. However, many others have begun weighing in, including mayors of many communities surrounding the two state forests. They have asked Governor Holcomb to:
- Postpone the timber harvest,
- Complete an economic analysis of the benefits of state parks, and
- Complete an ecological assessment of Salamonie River and Frances Slocum State Forests.
You can do the same: contact governor Holcomb and make these requests. Also, share your own story about why you value Salamonie River and Frances Slocum State Forests.
Call 317.232.4567 or write www.in.gov/gov/2752.htm to let him know you want two new Indiana State Parks. Ask that he intercede and postpone all timber sales in Salamonie River and Frances Slocum State Forests.
Media Coverage About Logging in Salamonie River and Frances Slocum State Forests
- Indiana panel rejects groups’ push to conserve 2 forests | 7/24/19 | WNDU 16 (AP)
- Note that the Associated Press also pushed this story out to The Biloxi Sun Herald, The Charlotte Observer, The Chicago Tribune, Dubois County Herald, Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, The Hoosier Times, Indiana Public Media, The Macon Telegraph, The News & Observer, San Francisco Chronicle, The State, U.S. News & World Report, WANE, WRAL, and 20 other news sites.
- Indiana panel rejects groups’ push to conserve 2 forests | 7/24/19 | Times Union
- NRC denies requestto save forests’ trees | 7/24/19 | Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly
- State park plea denied | 7/20/19 | Chronicle-Tribune
- State denies petition to turn Frances Slocum Forest into state park | 7/18/19| Kokomo Tribune
- Group wants hearing on Salamonie River State Forest | 5/2/19 | WANE
- Salamonie, Slocum forests pitched as state parks | 5/1/19 | WANE (updated)
- Indiana citizens standing up for state forests | 4/29/19 | The Herald Republican
- State park pitch made for Slocum, Salamonie | 4/30/19 | Journal Gazette
- Salamonie, Slocum forests pitched as state parks | 4/30/19 | WANE
- Pushing for a park: Conservationists petitioning DNR to turn Frances Slocum State Forest into state park | 4/26/19 | Kokomo Tribune
- Pushing for a park: Conservationists petitioning DNR to turn Frances Slocum State Forest into state park | 4/26/19 | Goshen News
- Pushing for “Salamonie State Park”| 4/25/19 | Huntington Herald Press
- Opposition Raised To Logging Plans In Salamonie River Forest | 10/8/18 | WFYI (AP)
- Salamonie logging plan generates call to action | 10/6/18 | Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
- Frances Slocum State Forest set to be logged | 9/17/18| Kokomo Tribune
Get involved! Take action!
Indiana’s forests need you! Be part of an active, engaged network of forest advocates from all over Indiana. What can you do? Join IFA! Volunteer! Or write to or call officials on behalf of Indiana’s forests.
Contact IFA’s outreach team for more information.